In 1856, the piano-maker Joachim Friedrich Schwarzlose opens the drugstore J.F. Schwarzlose Söhne for his children. In 1870 they are acclaimed Purveyor to the Royal Court. Max and Franz leave the main business and concentrate on creating their own fragrance brands. In 1895 they take over the distinguished fragrance house Treu & Nuglisch, a company founded in 1820 that had been purveyor to the Prussian and Austro-Hungarian courts. From then on the company is called J.F. Schwarzlose Söhne – Treu & Nuglisch.
The company Spahn & Büttner is the cradle of the German perfume industry and they supply scents which make up the basis of J.F. Schwarzlose’s “Rosa Centifolia” – deep red garden rose – a top seller that lasts well into the first decades of the 20th century; “Royalin” – the first class fantasy perfume and the popular “Finale” – a scent created for men. Although fashion around 1900 still calls for flowery fragrances, the art of composing olfactory sensations is becoming more important.
Giving presents such as powder, soaps and especially perfumes is considered chic and international at that time, and this is probably how the name of J.F. Schwarzlose left Berlin and spread out across the borders of Europe as far afield as the “Forbidden City“ of Beijing, to the palace of Pu Yi, China’s last Emperor. After the roaring Golden Twenties and two world wars, the business closes down in 1976. In 2012 the fragrance house is reborn, combining old fine traditions with daring creativity and extravagance.